Two Ninety Two vs. LX-II for driving two stereo wet 1X12 cabs with EVM 12Ls

I’m debating between the LX-II and Two Ninety Two power amps to power two pacific woodworks 1X12 wet cabs in a W/D/W setup, and the cabs will have EVM 12L speakers in them. I have talked to some folks that say the EVM 12Ls really like 100W amps better, but I certainly don’t need the volume, so I’m wondering if the LX-II will be sufficient?

I have read things about fan noise differences between the two amps as well, so I’m curious which amp would be best for my intended studio use (noise level) and the EVM-12L speakers I will be using.

Thanks,

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

A speaker like the 12L might like to have more horsepower behind it if it was your main or center dry speaker, but for your intended application, that’s not really a concern.

The effects power amp in a WDW rig is mostly providing sonic enhancement, not pushing SPL, so the choice between the LXII and Two/Ninety/Two comes down to price, available space and your concern over fan noise.

I would choose the LXII because you just don’t need the power of the Two/Ninety/Two.

I’m not too OCD about fan noise. Just install it in a rack case and try to keep it away from your direct playing space. If you’re sitting right on top of it, the Two/Ninety/Two fan noise will sound different but might also bother you. That’s just a choice between high pitched fan noise and low pitched fan noise.

Tube power amps generate heat and need cooling to operate safely. That would be my priority.

Dave

Dave,

Thanks for the very helpful response. I appreciate the product recommendation and will probably go that way.

Would you say the LX-II has the higher pitched fan noise compared to the Two Ninety Two?

My sitting position will probably be 8 to 10 feet away so I don’t think the fan noise would bother me too much.

Thanks,

Jeff