Marshall SV20C with extension speaker impedance hookup to PS-2A

First post here, hello to all.
I have a Marshall SV20C which I’ve replaced the internal speaker which originally had an 16ohm impedance to a 8 ohm impedance. The reason being is that I also have an extension cabinet which runs an 8 ohm impedance. I want to use both of these speakers and want to verify my hookup to a PS2-A. On the back of the SV20, I usually connect to the 1X4 ohm/2X8 ohm jack.

  1. Do I still connect to this output jack?
  2. If I do I set the input on the PS2 to 2/4 switch?
  3. Output for each speaker switched to 2/4?

If not correct can you please suggest correct hookup? Thank you!

Hi @MarvoxPC and welcome to the forum,

OK so normally there is a cable connected to a “1x16 Ohm” socket for the internal speaker.

Now that you changed that to an 8 Ohm you are using the “1x8 Ohm” socket with the internal - sounds good too.

Now you want two 8 Ohms in parallel just use the 2 x 8 Ohm socket as you would expect, that is a 4 Ohm load. So here is what I would do:

  1. PS-2A AMPLIFIER IMPEDANCE 4 Ohms
  2. PS-2A SPEAKER IMPEDANCE 4 Ohms
  3. Marshall “1x4 Ohm” to PS-2A AMP IN
  4. PS-2A SPKR ONE to Internal Cab
  5. PS-2A SPKR TWO to External Cab

This is the back panel to give a bit of context:

I am assuming here there is no internal connection from amp to combo speaker, that the factory has the speaker connected to 1x16 Ohm?

1 Like

Hi Dan,
Thanks for the quick response and setup instructions!
There is no internal connection from amp to the combo speaker.

Ok then, that makes it normal, just like hooking up cabs. Good news.