Intermittent volume drop and spikes on PS-100

Hey everyone!
In february I bought a used unit from a guy (he bought it in 2020) and it was working fine until today.
After 10 minutes of playing the unit starts to drop volume and makes cracky noise.
I use the Powerstation as an attenuator. I checked different cables the ohm settings etc but nothing solved the issue.
My chain is: Guitar->tuner->noise gate->wah->compressor->OD->amp front send->noise gate->delay->reverb->return
Here is a video of it I hope you can watch it:

Could this be a tube failure?
If I should check should I swap only one tube or both at the same time?
I never changed the tubes before but I would guess the correct way is to, change only one and then if the issue is still present change the other one instead?
Thank you in advance!

Hi @attilatoth00 and welcome to the forum

Yes, it could be, but I think first we need to simplify the setup.

Can you try this:

  • Guitar → Boogie: input
  • Boogie output: 8 Ohm output → PS-100 AMP IN
  • PS-100 SPKR OUT → Your speaker cab.

PS-100:

  • front panel toggles = FLAT
  • Power on
  • Put into BYPASS: this connects your Boogie directly to your speaker (PS-100 is out of circuit), how does it sound? Any weird noises?
  • Put into OPERATE: now PS-100 is connected to your speaker, any issues now?

Given the age, yes, it could be tube-related, and that would be a good next step to try. But do the steps above first. If you only get the noises when PS-100 is in OPERATE we know that is the cause,

It is really interesting. Straight to the amp seems to work.


I’ve been playing for 30 minutes now and everything is fine (knock on wood) except the tubes are a little bit blue but that’s it.
I wonder what could be the issue. The only I changed is that I skipped the pedals, and I put the PS front toggles to FLAT (they were on the middle for BRITE and WARM).
The interesting thing is originally, when the issue occured I put the PS-100 into bypass mode (with the power -on) and the issue was gone and the amp was working fine.